Monday, April 30, 2012
Fire in Falmouth
According to the mayor, the fire at the Falmouth Beach Hotel this morning is the biggest ever fire in Falmouth. We drove through the smoke when we went into town on the bus, with lots of blue flashing lights and helecopters. The fire was fanned by very strong southerly winds. This also caused the cancellation of the Scillonian, the ferry to the Scilly Isles. If the ferry is cancelled, I guess we will be taking a rain check on our proposal to leave at 05.30 tommorrow morning.
Gail is rightly a bit concerned that she might be left helming on her own to Scilly and over to Ireland (26 hours) if I sucomb to seasickness again. We must therefore make sure the weather is set fair.
Gail is rightly a bit concerned that she might be left helming on her own to Scilly and over to Ireland (26 hours) if I sucomb to seasickness again. We must therefore make sure the weather is set fair.
Sunday, April 29, 2012
Sunday 29th April in Falmouth. Severe gale 9 and storm 10 keeps us tied up in the marina watching the various drips manefest themselves.
Mark from Seacraft Marine came down from Poole on Thursday and spent eight hours tracing the instrument problem. Fingers crossed he found it. A faulty wire coming from the depth transducer to the back of the instrument panel, feeding into the network and corrupting everything. We now have wind and depth.........fingers crossed this will be robust when we actually go sailing.
We had also lost shore power. Unfortunately, this was traced to the battery charger having gone down, We
Sorry for the repeat, but this did not publish first time around.
Mark from Seacraft Marine came down from Poole on Thursday and spent eight hours tracing the instrument problem. Fingers crossed he found it. A faulty wire coming from the depth transducer to the back of the instrument panel, feeding into the network and corrupting everything. We now have wind and depth.........fingers crossed this will be robust when we actually go sailing.
We had also lost shore power. Unfortunately, this was traced to the battery charger having gone down, We
Sorry for the repeat, but this did not publish first time around.
Falmouth in the rain
Here we are still in Falmouth with rain and wind. Forecast for severe gale 9 and storm 10 today and tomorrow.
We hope we have sorted the instruments. Mark of Seacraft Marine Poole spent eight hours before finding a faulty wire from the depth transducer. We've run a new one so fingers crossed.
Also found the problem with shore power cutting out. Battery charger failed. New one fitted (very expensive) and all working again. Had to do some wood butchery with a £12.99 jig saw from Trago Mills.
Had a quiet day watching BBC Iplayer, "The Bridge". A good Sweedish detective drama from channel 4.
If the weather is as forecast, we should leave for the Scilly Isles on Tuesday or Wednesday. We have tossed up between there and Penzance, but with Easterlies forecast, and difficulties with tide times, Scilly looks favourite at the moment. Watch this space.
We hope we have sorted the instruments. Mark of Seacraft Marine Poole spent eight hours before finding a faulty wire from the depth transducer. We've run a new one so fingers crossed.
Also found the problem with shore power cutting out. Battery charger failed. New one fitted (very expensive) and all working again. Had to do some wood butchery with a £12.99 jig saw from Trago Mills.
Had a quiet day watching BBC Iplayer, "The Bridge". A good Sweedish detective drama from channel 4.
If the weather is as forecast, we should leave for the Scilly Isles on Tuesday or Wednesday. We have tossed up between there and Penzance, but with Easterlies forecast, and difficulties with tide times, Scilly looks favourite at the moment. Watch this space.
Wednesday, April 25, 2012
More culture. Went to a play/Opera in Truro called Tin. Very good.
Saw some boarts there and decided we were pleased we hadn't tried to come up river.
Might think of swapping for this one though!
Although it appears to be missing a boom. The mast has five spreaders and a light for aircraft. Must be 200ft high!
Saw some boarts there and decided we were pleased we hadn't tried to come up river.
Might think of swapping for this one though!
Although it appears to be missing a boom. The mast has five spreaders and a light for aircraft. Must be 200ft high!
Went to the flicks tonight and saw the Best Marigold Hotel. Very relaxing. Leather sofa and you could take your G & T with you.
Monday, April 23, 2012
Well here we are in Falmouth. The saga continues.
The electric problem appeared to be solve, and we left Plymouth in hailstorm on Sunday. Going out through Plymouth sound we spotted the fin of a basking shark! There are supposedly lots around the Lizard, we shall see.
Two reefs were called for in the fresh force 5 round Rame head, and we made good speed towards Fowey. It was really blowing quite hard by the time we dropped the sails and headed for the entrance, passing a J24 open meet just outside the harbour. Evidently Duncan Mcarthy of Parkstone Y.C. was there. As we passed the Js the instruments went down again. Luckily Fowey is deep all the way, and we managed to tie up to the floating pontoon.
A water taxi and walk around the town, but decided against Sams for supper (can't go out every night).
Forecast was for wind again, but decided to try for Falmouth. The instruments seemed to be working again. Putting up the sails outside the harbour I spotted a huge fish, white, and about eight feet long, swimming under the boat. Not sure what it was, but I don't think it was a dolphin.
The force 4/5 forecast turned out to be a force 5/6 and 7, with occational gusts up to 29knots.
Intruments failed again in the lumpy seas off Dodman point. We were making 6+ knots, with two reefs and partly furled jib. Not quite able to make the right angle, so five miles from Falmouth started the iron jib and motored into an increasing wind. Blowing the top end of a 6 by now. Only saw 2 other sailing boats all day.
Coming into Falmouth with no depth instruments proved interesting. We edged up the chanel towards Falmouth marina, to stop gently on the mud, smack on low tide, just outside the marina. We were then informed the deeper chanel was to Port of the marked channel, and having got off, came into the fuel pontoon. Transfering from there to a tight berth with a force 6 still blowing was a challenge, but we made it without hitting anything........just.
Now to sort out the electics again. And the shore power is also tripping out now.
Here are a couple of pics.
The electric problem appeared to be solve, and we left Plymouth in hailstorm on Sunday. Going out through Plymouth sound we spotted the fin of a basking shark! There are supposedly lots around the Lizard, we shall see.
Two reefs were called for in the fresh force 5 round Rame head, and we made good speed towards Fowey. It was really blowing quite hard by the time we dropped the sails and headed for the entrance, passing a J24 open meet just outside the harbour. Evidently Duncan Mcarthy of Parkstone Y.C. was there. As we passed the Js the instruments went down again. Luckily Fowey is deep all the way, and we managed to tie up to the floating pontoon.
A water taxi and walk around the town, but decided against Sams for supper (can't go out every night).
Forecast was for wind again, but decided to try for Falmouth. The instruments seemed to be working again. Putting up the sails outside the harbour I spotted a huge fish, white, and about eight feet long, swimming under the boat. Not sure what it was, but I don't think it was a dolphin.
The force 4/5 forecast turned out to be a force 5/6 and 7, with occational gusts up to 29knots.
Intruments failed again in the lumpy seas off Dodman point. We were making 6+ knots, with two reefs and partly furled jib. Not quite able to make the right angle, so five miles from Falmouth started the iron jib and motored into an increasing wind. Blowing the top end of a 6 by now. Only saw 2 other sailing boats all day.
Coming into Falmouth with no depth instruments proved interesting. We edged up the chanel towards Falmouth marina, to stop gently on the mud, smack on low tide, just outside the marina. We were then informed the deeper chanel was to Port of the marked channel, and having got off, came into the fuel pontoon. Transfering from there to a tight berth with a force 6 still blowing was a challenge, but we made it without hitting anything........just.
Now to sort out the electics again. And the shore power is also tripping out now.
Here are a couple of pics.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)